Economic Times, leading business daily newspaper of India, has quoted us in its article “Beware! This market has stocks that will burn money; here’s how to spot them” dated Oct. 11, 2017. Following is the excerpt of the article containing our thoughts:
Out of all the parameters, management is the most important feature of any business, says Dr Vijay Malik, a value investor. He was talking about the art of stock picking in an interview with ETMarkets.com.
“I read past annual reports, credit rating reports, media articles and other publically available resources to ensure if the company management has taken any decision in the past, which has been against the interests of minority shareholders,” Malik said.
Any sign of actions where promoter/management has attempted to benefit at the cost of minority shareholders should be the first ‘no go’ sign for investors, irrespective of how good the financial and valuation parameters may look like.
Once satisfied with the financial and management criteria, Malik uses a margin of safety framework comprising a customised ratio called the self-sustainable growth rate (SSGR) and free cash flow (FCF) to determine strength in the business and the buying range for the stock.
FCF is the surplus amount a business generates after it paying of its operating expenses and capital expenditure. It shows how efficient a business is in generating cash and if it can pay investors some return after funding its operations and expansions.
“If a company meets all my parameters and is available within my buying range, then I start investing in it,” says Malik.
Read the complete article on the website of Ecomonic Times here
- To know about the stocks in our portfolio, their relative composition, cost price, details of all our buy/sell transactions since August 1, 2017 as well as to get updates about any future buy/sell transaction in our portfolio, you may subscribe to the premium service: Follow My Portfolio with Latest Buy/Sell Transactions Updates (Premium Service)
- To learn our stock investing approach “Peaceful Investing” in detail at any time & place of your convenience, you may subscribe to “Peaceful Investing” Workshop-on-Demand, which allows subscribers to watch the recorded videos (9h:30m) of a complete full-day “Peaceful Investing” workshop. You can watch the FREE Sample Video (16min) of the workshop where we have discussed the basics of balance sheet along with fund flow analysis and read about other details of this premium service at the following page: “Peaceful Investing” Workshop-on-Demand
- The excel template that we use in our stock analysis is now, compatible with screener.in. This customized Excel template is now available for download as a premium feature. For further details and download Click Here
- You may learn more about our stock analysis approach in the e-book: “Peaceful Investing – A Simple Guide to Hassle-free Stock Investing”
- You may read more company analyses based on our stock investing approach in the Company Analysis e-book series spread across multiple volumes: Click Here
- To register for the “Peaceful Investing” workshop to be held in Bengaluru on April 28, 2019: Click Here
- To pre-register/express interest for a “Peaceful Investing” workshop in your city: Click here