You may avail our premium services at the dedicated section:
- Follow Dr Vijay Malik’s Portfolio with Latest Buy/Sell Transaction Updates
- “Peaceful Investing” Workshop-on-Demand
- Stock Analysis Excel Template (compatible with Screener.in)
- E-book: “Peaceful Investing – A Simple Guide to Hassle-free Stock Investing”
- E-books: “Company Analyses” : Live Examples using Peaceful Investing Approach
- “Peaceful Investing” Workshops
You may click on names of each of the services to know more about them. Alternatively, brief details of each of the services is provided below.
1) Follow Dr Vijay Malik’s Portfolio with Latest Buy/Sell Transaction Updates:
This premium service has been commenced as an information source for the investors who wish to know about the stocks that I am buying currently or the stocks that I have sold recently. This is purely an information source and services like advising individual clients on portfolio allocation etc. is not a part of this service.My stock portfolio has its origins in August 2011, when I invested my initial savings from my first job after MBA (2009-11). I have been able to invest in some of the fundamentally good stocks at the initial stage of their growth phase, which were later on discovered by research/brokerage houses and witnessed investments from institutional investors.
The recognition of stocks by key market players have helped to generate significant gains for the portfolio as the underlying stocks got rerated and increased in value. A few such examples are: Ambika Cotton Mills Limited, Vinati Organics Limited, Mayur Uniquoters Limited etc.
I started investing in Ambika Cotton Mills Limited in September 2014, when it was trading at very low valuation levels. The stock was later on identified by the well-known value investor Prof. Sanjay Bakshi, who invested in it through his fund “ValueQuest India Moat Fund Ltd” in March 2015.
Similarly, other stocks like Vinati Organics Limited and Mayur Uniquoters witnessed increased FII buying and thereby generated good returns by increase in share price. The increased FII buying led to the P/E ratio of Mayur Uniquoters increasing from 6.6 to above 30 and P/E ratio of Vinati Organics increasing from 7.7 to above 20. This increase in valuations led to significant increase in the contribution of these stocks in the portfolio returns.
Updates on portfolio performance as on March 31, 2018:
- I started building the portfolio on August 8, 2011, on joining my first job after MBA (2009-11). Since then, the portfolio has generated an annualized return (CAGR) of 47.59% against CAGR of Sensex of 10.48%
- During FY2018, the portfolio has generated returns of 12.66% against an increase in BSE Sensex of 11.34%.
- During FY2018, We had a total of 51 transactions in the portfolio. All of these transactions were buy transactions and we did not sell any stock during FY2018.
The below table contains the yearly performance history of the portfolio:
Readers/investors who wish to know about the details of my portfolio and the recent transactions with regular updates may subscribe to this premium service for one year or for two years at the following link:
The subscription service for “Follow My Portfolio” involves the following features:
- Update by email about all the future transactions (buy as well as sell) in my portfolio at the end of the day of the transaction (after market closing hours) during the period of the subscription. The email update would contain the details of the stock bought/sold and the price at which the transaction was done.
- Access to the premium section containing updated details of my portfolio and the list of all the transactions from the start of this service (July 30, 2016) until date during the subscription period, at the following link: https://premium.drvijaymalik.com/portfolio/
- “Follow My Portfolio” service is an information service and not an advisory service. In it we intimate subscribers about our portfolio allocation and transactions. We are not able to provide portfolio advisory, portfolio allocation and creation, stock selection, stock buying targets, selling targets etc as part of “Follow My Portfolio” Service.
The information about composition of the portfolio to be available in the following format:
Name of the Company
% age of portfolio (current price)
Avg Cost Price (₹)
First Buy Date
Latest Buy Date
Lowest Buy Price (₹)
Highest Buy Price (₹)
The details of all the transactions from the start of this service (July 30, 2016) until date in my portfolio to be available in the following format:
Name of the Company
Share Price (₹)
Whenever I will do any buy/sell transaction in my portfolio, an email notification would be sent to subscribers at the end of the day, which would contain the information in the following format:
Name of the Company
Share Price (₹)
This premium service has been commenced as an information source for the investors who wish to know about the stocks that I am buying currently or the stocks that I have sold recently.
However, there are certain key points of this service:
- The key essence to focus is that “Follow My Portfolio” service is an information service and not an advisory service. In it we intimate subscribers about our portfolio allocation and transactions. We are not able to provide portfolio advisory, portfolio allocation and creation, stock selection, stock buying targets, selling targets etc as part of “Follow My Portfolio” Service.
- The intimation to investors would always be after closing of the market hours on the day on which I have done any buy/sell transaction.
- There is no provision of any research report/recommendation note to be published/made available to investors as this service is to provide a glimpse to the investors into my personal portfolio management and related actions. For more details, please read the answers to the frequently asked question (FAQs) below.
- This service has been designed to act as an information source to subscribers about the composition of my portfolio and the stocks that I am buying/selling currently. This is purely an information source and services like advising individual clients on portfolio allocation etc. is not a part of this service.
- I would not be able to provide responses to questions about specific stocks in the portfolio and specific buy/sell decisions.
- This service does not include intimating the subscribers in advance about the buy/sell decisions that I would take about specific stocks.
- Important Disclosure: We disclose the details of the portfolio of my family (my wife and I). My wife, due to her association with Newgen Software Technologies Limited (Newgen) has been allotted shares under their employee stock options plan (ESOPs). Our holding and transactions in the shares of Newgen are covered under the insider trading guidelines of SEBI, Newgen as well as other company policies of Newgen Software Technologies Limited. Due to restrictions applicable under the above mentioned insider trading and other policies, we find ourselves unable to do the dissemination of our holding and transactions in the shares of Newgen Software Technologies Limited. Therefore, we would continue to disclose our equity portfolio composition, transactions and portfolio performance updates, consisting of my & my wife’s portfolio excluding the position in the shares of Newgen Software Technologies Limited. At any point of time, subscribers should note that we may have positions in the shares of Newgen Software Technologies Limited.
Investors who wish to avail this service may subscribe by clicking on the following link:
Key instructions to subscribers:
- This is a subscription service. The access to premium features of this service would lapse after subscription period gets over unless the renewal is done.
- Once this premium service is availed, then there is no provision of any refund of the fee or the cancellation of the service during the period of subscription.
- Please take note that “Follow My Portfolio” service is an information service and not a investment/portfolio advisory service.
P.S: Please read the following article for further details, the steps to be followed for completion of subscription process and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) : My Portfolio
2) “Peaceful Investing” Workshop-on-Demand
The workshop covers all the aspects of stock investing like how to shortlist and analyse stocks in detail, which stocks to buy, what price to pay, how many stocks to buy, how to monitor the stocks, when to sell a stock etc. The workshop focuses on key concepts needed for stock analysis both for a beginner and seasoned stock investor using live companies as examples.
“Peaceful Investing” Workshop-on-Demand has been launched primarily with two objectives:
- To allow the investors across the world to watch the complete full day “Peaceful Investing” workshop ONLINE on their laptop/mobile phone at any time & place of their convenience at their own pace, as many times as they can, during the period of subscription.
- To allow an opportunity to past participants of “Peaceful Investing” workshops to revise the workshop and refresh the learning.
You can watch FREE Sample Video (16 min) of the workshop where we have discussed the basics of balance sheet along with fund flow analysis here:
These videos are divided into following subsections for easy access and revision:
- The Foundation:
- A) Introduction to Peaceful Investing (24m:31s)
- B) Demonstration to Screener.in website and its Export to Excel Feature (28m:56s)
- C) Using Credit Rating Reports for Stock Analysis (38m:11s)
- Financial Analysis:
- A) Analysis of Profit & Loss Statement (1h:12m:37s)
- B) Analysis of Balance Sheet (27m:14s)
- C) Analysis of Cash Flow Statement (27m:24s)
- D) Combining Different Financial Statements (22m:40s)
- Business & Industry Analysis (21m:55s)
- Valuation Analysis (20m:17s)
- Margin of Safety Assessment: Deciding what price to pay for a stock (1h:08m:03s)
- Management Analysis (1h:15m:07s)
- Portfolio Management: (How to monitor the stocks, How many stocks to own, When to sell, Stocks which are ideal for Part Time investors) (51m:54s)
- Q&A (1h:24m:38s)
We believe that a person does not need to have an educational background in finance to be a good stock investor and the workshop has been designed keeping this in mind. The workshop explains the financial concepts in simple manner, which are easily understood by investors from non-finance background.
3) Stock Analysis Excel Template (compatible with Screener.in):
I use a customized excel template to analyse stocks as per my preferred parameters by using the data downloaded from screener.in website. The template acts as a dashboard of key analysis parameters, which help me make an opinion about any stock within a short amount of time (sometimes within a few minutes). I have used this excel template and the analysis output in many stock analysis articles published on this website.You may read about various stock analysis articles written by analyzing companies using the excel template in the “Author’s Response” segments on the following link: Stock Analysis Articles
In the past, many readers/investors have asked me to provide the copy of this excel file. However, until now, I have not put the excel template in the public domain for download. I have always advised investors to customize the standard screener excel template as per their own preferences and their learning about stock analysis from different sources. Customization of excel template on her own can be a very good learning exercise for any investor.
However, due to repeated requests for sharing the excel template, I have decided to make the customized excel stock analysis template, which is compatible with screener.in and provides stock data as a dashboard, as a paid download feature.
Investors who wish to get the customized excel stock analysis template may download it from the following link:
The structure and sample screenshots of the stock analysis excel template file are as below:
1) Analysis sheet: This sheet presents values of more than 40 key parameters in the form of a dashboard. These parameters cover analysis of profitability, capital structure, valuation, margin of safety, cash flow, creation of wealth, sources of funds, growth rates, return ratios, operating efficiency etc. Having a quick look at these parameters in the form of the dashboard helps in quick assessment about the company, its historical performance and its current state of affairs.
Screenshot of large resolution output of the Analysis Sheet: Click Here
2) Description sheet: This sheet contains details about description and interpretation of about each of the more than 40 parameters. It is advised that investors should read this sheet in detail before starting with the analysis of companies by using this template. Screenshot of the Description Sheet: Click Here
3) Instructions sheet: This sheet contains details about the steps by step apporach to get started with this sheet on screener.in website, change in settings for Microsoft Excel to resolve common issues and other instructions for the buyers. To see the step by step instructions guide containing the screenshots for uploading the excel sheet on screener: Click Here Screenshot of the Instructions Sheet: Click Here
4) Version history: This sheet contains details about the changes/updates made in each of the new versions of the sheet. You may read about various stock analysis articles and see the screenshots of the excel template in the “Author’s Response” segments on the following link: Stock Analysis Articles
Users’/Investors’ Feedback about this Stock Analysis Excel Template:
The stock analysis excel template was initially made available for download on July 11, 2016. More than hundred investors have downloaded the same and quite a few of them have provided their inputs about the excel template. Here are some of the responses sent by the users of this template:
“This is a great tool for getting down to the heart of a company’s financials.
When I was doing my MBA at NYU I had a valuation professor who encouraged everyone in the class of 60 to make their own customized sheet similar to what you’ve made. I was a fan of Buffett so I remember keeping some of his metrics in view and creating a sheet! Of course yours is head and shoulders above anything else I’ve seen – kudos!”
– Uday (via email)
The excel template is quite useful. It makes things easy for us in not doing the hard labor and calculating all vital data for each company separately.
– Ashish (in comments on the article at drvijaymalik.com)
“Thank you Dr. Malik. The tool is indeed very useful and super-fast to use. God bless you for creating it! Please use this as part of ur training to perform financial analyses of different types of companies in different performance contexts across industries. I am sure others will also love it.”
– Harsh (via email)
“Dear Sir, I have downloaded the excel. It’s simply AMAZING, EFFORTLESS and AWESOME. Kudos to you and your team for wonderful creation..”
– Vikram (via email)
“Very good tool created for Stock analysis. Very helpful. Thank you sir”
– Jiten (via email)
@drvijaymalik Thanks for creating a useful tool like screener excel template. It’s of great help in finding good stock.
— ratan sahay (@ratansahay) July 24, 2016
For further details please read this article: Dr Vijay Malik’s Stock Analysis Excel Template (compatible with Screener.in) P.S: Please read all the instructions on the payment page, carefully before making the purchase of the excel template.
4) e-book: “Peaceful Investing – A Simple Guide to Hassle-free Stock Investing”
www.drvijaymalik.com has a huge collections of articles, which are focused on simplifying the stock market investing for common investors. These articles cover different aspects of stock investing like:
- Deciding the suitable approach to stock market investing
- Shortlisting companies for analysis
- Detailed guidelines for conducting in-depth stock analysis covering: financial analysis, valuation analysis, business & industry analysis, management analysis, operating efficiency analysis etc.
- Ready checklists as a ready reference while doing stock selection
- Deciding about the price to pay for any stock
- Deciding when to sell the stocks in the portfolio
- Methods to check accounting juggleries by companies
- Guidelines for creation a portfolio of stocks with ideal number of stocks
- Guidelines for monitoring stocks in the portfolio
and many more.
All these articles are separate write-ups, which are available to all the readers at www.drvijaymalik.com.
A lot of readers have asked whether there exists an e-book compiling all these articles, which could be downloaded by the readers so that the articles could be read in a sequence even when the reader is offline.
The key stock investing articles were collected as a book and offered as a key study material guide to each of the participants of all the “Peaceful Investing” workshops being conducted by us.
The feedback from the workshop participants about the book has been very good. The readers have found the book very useful to learn stock analysis.
Many other readers of www.drvijaymalik.com have asked for this book to be made available even for the members who have not be able to attend the “Peaceful Investing” workshop.
As a result, the book “Peaceful Investing – A Simple Guide to Hassle-free Stock Investing” has been made available as a premium download to the investors. Investors who wish to get the book may download it from the following link:
For details of all the articles contained in the book, please read this article.
5) E-books: “Company Analyses (Vol. 1, 2, 3…)” : Live Examples using Peaceful Investing Approach
www.drvijaymalik.com has a huge collections of stock analysis articles, where we have provided our views about different companies as inputs to queries asked by readers. As on date, the number of such articles is nearing a hundred. Each of these articles contains learning arrived after conducting the in-depth analysis of companies:
- their financial performance
- detailed study of historical annual reports
- credit rating reports
- corporate communications
- peer comparison
These articles contains analysis of the companies on parameters like financial, business, operating efficiency analysis. The articles have a special focus on the in-depth management analysis along with assessing margin of safety in the business model of companies.
A lot of readers have provided very good feedback about these analysis articles. Readers have appreciated the help, which these articles have provided the investors in understanding the analysis process that can be replicated by them while conducting their own stock analysis.
All these stock analysis articles are separate write-ups, which are available to all the readers at www.drvijaymalik.com.
A lot of readers have asked whether there exist e-books compiling all these articles, which could be downloaded by the readers so that the articles could be read in a sequence even when the reader is offline.
As a result, the e-books (PDF) “Company Analyses” : Live Examples using Peaceful Investing Approach have been made available as a premium download to the investors. Investors who wish to get the book may download it from the following link:
Feedback received from readers of the book is mentioned below:
Strongly Recommending Company Analyses (Vol.1) Prepared by @drvijaymalikTo every Investor… *Simplest way to learn Equity Investments ✅
— Kishan Ravia (@kishanravia) August 18, 2017
For more details about this book, please read this article.
6) “Peaceful Investing” Workshops:
“Peaceful Investing” workshops are full day workshops (9AM to 6PM) held on selected Sundays. The workshops are focused on stock selection and analysis skills, which would make us much more confident about our stock decisions. It ensures that our faith would not shake with day to day market price fluctuations and we would be able to reap true benefits of stock markets to fulfill our dream of financial independence.
The workshops focus on the fundamental stock analysis of stocks with a detailed analysis of various sources of information available to investors like annual reports, quarterly results, credit rating reports and online financial resources.
You may learn more about the workshops, pre-register/express interest for a workshop in your city by providing your details on the following page:
- We would commence more premium services going ahead and would update about them at this page.
- The stock investing articles, stock analysis articles containing my inputs to readers’ analysis and “Ask Your Queries” section would be available free to all the readers/investors.