The current article in this series provides responses related to the following queries:
- Why do trading members hold shares on behalf of beneficial owners?
“Q&A” series is an attempt to share the queries & their responses, which have featured on “Ask Your Queries” section, with all the readers. The primary aim of this new feature is to share the knowledge with other readers of the website, who might have similar queries.
Why do trading members hold shares on behalf of beneficial owners?
One doubt –In shareholding pattern in BSE they show something as “Details of disclosure made by the Trading Members holding 1% or more of the Total No. of shares of the company.” below it
Sl. No.–Name of the Trading Member –Name of the Beneficial Owner—No. of shares held— % of total no. of shares–Date of reporting by the Trading Member
Here, I wanted to know what the trading members do by holding the shares of the beneficial owner. Do they regularly trade with those stocks & maintain liquidity in the market? Or they trade on behalf of Promoters & earn profit?
Thanks for writing to us!
Let us take the example of a sample case where a trading member may hold shares on behalf of the beneficial owner.
If an investor buys shares of a company through a stockbroker (i.e. trading member), then the stock exchange/clearing corporation sends the shares to the stockbroker (also called as a trading member). These stocks usually remain in a common pool account with the stockbroker unless the investor gives instructions to the stockbroker to shift these shares to the investor’s Demat account (CDSL or NSDL).
These shares lying in the common pool account of the stockbroker, which are not transferred by the investor to her Demat account, is one example of the trading member holding shares on behalf of beneficial owner (the investor).
Investors (beneficial owners) may leave the shares in the common pool account for many purposes:
- To take financing (margin funding) from the broker
- Allow the broker to trade on behalf of the investor etc. or any other reason.
All the best for your investing journey!
Dr. Vijay Malik
- To know about the stocks in our portfolio, you may subscribe to the premium service: Follow My Portfolio with Latest Buy/Sell Transactions Updates (Premium Service)
- To learn our stock investing approach “Peaceful Investing” by videos, you may subscribe to “Peaceful Investing” Workshop-on-Demand
- To download our customized stock analysis excel template: Click Here
- Learn about our stock analysis approach in the e-book: “Peaceful Investing – A Simple Guide to Hassle-free Stock Investing”
- Read more company analysis in the e-book series: Company Analyses
- To register for the “Peaceful Investing” workshop in Chennai on Sept 22, 2019: Click Here
- To pre-register/express interest for a “Peaceful Investing” workshop in your city: Click here
Registration Status with SEBI:
I am registered with SEBI as an Investment Adviser under SEBI (Investment Advisers) Regulations, 2013
Details of Financial Interest in the Subject Company:
Currently, I do not own stocks of any of the companies discussed above.